The life-span of a great pair of boots can be fearfully short in the face of polar winters and hard-hoofing commutes. To protect ourselves from the vulnerability that accompanies that inevitable retirement, aren’t we always looking, actively or passively, for our next pair? That’s my theory at least, for why I’ve gotten so many requests for another round-up of fall boots (last year’s was one of the blog’s most popular posts).
To find boots where fit, price and style align harmoniously with your tastes can feel like a Herculean undertaking, especially to those who regard shopping as a brutal chore. Below is my guide to the season’s best picks, and it aims to saves you time and strife. A few thoughts on what I’m seeing on the market. The over-the-knee boot (with flat sole and with heels) was quite popular on runways, so every retailer is offering its version. This is one place where I think it is not wise to trade down in quality, because there’s a lot of leather surface area involved and if its low-rent, it’ll show. I find that the over-the-knee styles that grip your leg with some type of fabric panel mixed in (like these for example) are far more slimming, especially with all that height, than bulky wide-shaft versions. My favorite trend right now is the subtle nod toward 60’s street style. You’ll notice low, block heels done in contemporary ways, and patent more present than in seasons past. The “Chelsea Boot”, a sturdy-soled, no-frills ankle number, usually in black, has flooded the shoe departments. It’s a free-minded shoe – doesn’t adhere to labels like “casual” or “dressy”.
There you have it. Happy browsing!
pretty & polished
1. Vince Camuto Maia Boot, $99 2. Club Monaco Autumn Stacked Heel Bootie, $395 3. Loeffler Randall Mercer Block Heel, $450 4. White House Black Market, $140 5. Zara Leather High Heel Boot With Fur, $139
6. & Other Stories Leather with Faux Fur Lining $195 7. Asos Frankie Wrapped Heel Boots, $96 8. Coach Amy Boot, $358 9. Phillip Lim Alexa Shearling Boot, $695 10. Rachel Zoe Rory Bootie, $455 11. Topshop Chelsea Boots, $130
12. Frye Parker Moc Short, $298 13. French Connection Sasha Lace Up Boot, $170 14. Derek Lam 10 Crosby Madaline Lace Up Bootie $395 15. Land’s End Tenley Wedge Boot, $59 16. Rag and Bone Hove Lace Up Boot $595
17. Emerson Frye Trooper Boot, $595 18. Sam Edelman Joplin Over The Knee Boot $315 19. Stuart Weitzman Contrast Panel Wedge Boot $695 20. French Connection Cali Over the Knee Boot, $249.95 21. Stuart Weitzman Fifo Patent Boot, $635
22. J.Crew Lowel Buckell Boots, $328 23. Frye Lindsay Plate Boot, $388 24. Tory Burch Hasting Bootie, $425 25. Ivanka Trump Orabell Boot, $239
26. Pour La Victoire Zane Red Bootie $250 27. Emporio Armani Runway Ankle Boot, $775 28. YSL Glitter Finished Ankle Boot, $1,145