The Liebster Award is an “award” that is passed on from one blogger to another. It’s a way for emerging bloggers to connect with fellow up-and-coming bloggers and for readers to learn a bit more about their favorite bloggers. I was nominated by Sarah of CityStyleShot, a fellow Chicagoan who is also beauty and fashion obsessed and has an adorable pup who makes scene-stealing cameo’s on her instagram feed. Thanks CityStyleShot, for bringing me into the Liebster chain!
The way it works is I answer the 11 questions that Sarah posed for me and then I nominate 11 new bloggers and pose 11 new questions for them to answer. And then they carry on the torch. Kind of chain-lettery, and pretty fun.
1. What was the most ridiculous but very cool fashion trend you followed?
I have to be honest… In the early aughts, Carrie’s style from Sex And The City really made an impression on my still-forming fashion brain. I tried the flower pin, the designer fanny pack, the tutu. All were ridiculous. Cool? I wouldn’t go that far. No one pulls off Carrie but Carrie. It took me a little while to learn that. But that’s the problem with trends, we look back and cringe! These days I try to veer toward classics.
2. What/who has most influenced your personal style?
Well that answer is twofold. The first is my mom. Apart from her excellent taste and her always looking chic, she has played a very instrumental role in developing my love of fashion. She used to frequently sew clothes for me when I was in grade school and I loved it because I got to play the creative director in our collaborations. We would go to Joanne Fabrics and have a ball picking out supplies like fabrics, trims, buttons and the patterns from pattern books, vintage and contemporary. I got to drive the vision for what I wanted and she made it come to life. Fashion has been a part of my active imagination ever since.
The other predominant influence has been cinema. Gilda, Grease, Gatsby… and those are just the G’s. I go to the movies as much to be inspired by the costumes as by any other aspect.
3. Heels or flats?
Heels. Up up up!
4. What one goal do you hope to accomplish this year?
Social media domination! Kidding – but I would like to better understand how I can use social media to reach new people who might really enjoy my blog.
5. Why did you start your blog?
So my parents would be forced to use the internet.
6. Who did you get your work ethic from?
I’ve had some jobs in the past that were really tedious where it was hard to feel motivated. Blogging is different. It’s is a passion. I actually look forward to the legwork, the research, the writing, the creative visuals. My work ethic comes from the work itself!
7. How would you describe your personal style?
Rooted in modern updates on classics, with a keen sensitivity to texture and quality. I definitely have a seasonal silhouette that I’m prone to. In winter, you’ll most likely find me in textured, chunky sweaters and skinny jeans. In summer, knit basics dressed up with accessories.
8. Who would you most like to see in a concert front row?
Stevie Nicks. That twirl!
9. If you could relive any moment in your life, which would you choose?
None. No time like the present!
10. How did you come up with your blog name?
It’s a long story. Read it here.
11. What is one fear you would like to conquer?
Public speaking! Considering there are two professors in my family I really ought to be much better at it.
And now, here are my questions and nominees:
1. What has surprised you most about blogging?
2. What are your beauty must-haves of the moment?
3. What’s the best piece of blogging advice you’ve received?
4. Do you stick to an editorial calendar?
5. If you could interview any fashion designer, who would it be and why?
6. It’s 12:01am on cyber monday. You’re looking to buy yourself an early holiday present. What’s the first site you go to?
7. If you could live in any era what era would you live in?
8. Who/what are some of your favorite instagram feeds?
9. Most recent book you’ve read?
10. Salty or sweet?
11. One thing you hope to accomplish this year, professional or personal?
And here are my Liebster award nominees:
1. Ashley from www.ashleymanfred.com
2. Laurie from www.312beauty.com
3. Justine from www.shortisthenewblack.com
4. Jennie from www.jenniewold.com
5. Monica from www.caravanofstyle.com
6. Megan of www.sparklesandsprinklesblog.com
7. Katie of www.meyersstyles.com
8. Kayla from www.eatplaydress.com
9. Alyson of www.thebeautyvanity.com
10. Elizabeth of www.adrian-james.com
11. Annabel of www.fragmentedsplendour.com