Spring was late, cold and full of rain here in Chicago. The first downside to this was probably economic. Boutique owners heard crickets as clients felt no impulse to shop for new looks. The second, social withdrawal: go out to dinner in rainboots and hear your teeth chatter while you wait for the valet or stay home and watch the 4 episodes of Sharktank stored up on your DVD? I rest my case.
Well, the upside is that all that rain has made our city a verdant, blooming secret garden as we finally see temperatures that are in line with a summer awakening. Here in Lincoln Park where I am nested, the trees are positively exploding with blossoms, the parks are greener than ever, and tulips and bluebells are springing forth in frontyards with vigor.
All this dewy Garden-of-Eden freshness inspired me to pare down my Spring-into-Summer makeup bag to channel nature: Luminous, low key, hydrating skin products (rain for the skin) paired with punchy floral hues for eye and lips.
Here is the round up:
- Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer with broad spectrum SPF 40 lotion. The argan oil in this really nourishes the skin in warm drying weather and the SPF gives you all the protection you need. Your skin feels healthy dressed in this light daily moisturizer.
- YSL Touche Eclat. when you want to wear a natural makeup-free face, this gives you the sheerest local coverage. Use under your eyes, around your nose, between your brows – wherever your skin feels uneven, to brighten.
- Giorgio Armani Sheer Blush in 4. A light bronzing on cheeks and jawbone adds some sunkissed-looking definition.
- Nars Satin Lip Pencil in Isola Bella. This color is strange and lovely and alive in such a unique way. It makes you feel like a fairy of the woods from a Midsummer’s Night Dream. The product texture is also a dream – the colors absorb right in to your lips and you don’t feel or look like you’re wearing lipstick. Its a very natural lip stain that lasts all day. I keep it on my person right up there with my cell phone and keys.
- Clinique High Impact Mascara. I’ve always loved Clinique mascaras. As a kid, my mom used to give me the free gift when she bought that iconic yellow moisturizer of theirs several times a year. It was my only access to makeup and I would tear through the gift bag like a kid on christmas morning. Therefore, I grew up wearing only Clinique mascaras. Maybe I’m partial out of sentimentality, but I do think their mascaras create a very natural look. We’re not going for glam here – we’re going for dewy, garden-creature glow and I think their mascaras leave you looking like your lashes do when you’re in the shower – darker, glossy, naturally accentuated.
- YSL Pure Chromatics Eye Shadow Quad. Lastly the eyes. this is where a touch of a more pigmented, even shimmering, color can take the natural look we’ve established with the other products to a slightly more interesting place. Create a little mystique with some pastel green or violet dabbed at the outer edges of the eye and along the lower lash line.
Enjoy these ideas as your put together your makeup bag this Memorial Day weekend!